Financial Assistance

There are several potential sources of financial assistance and/or compensation for people with burn injuries.

Compensation from Persons or Entities that Contributed to the Injury

Many people who suffer burn injuries have staggering medical bills and will continue to need specialized medical care, assistive equipment, and support for the foreseeable future. If another person or entity contributed to the injury, it may be possible to recover compensation to help with the financial needs of the injured person and family members. This website does NOT endorse any method of trying to receive compensation. We do NOT refer burn survivors to anyone.

Following is a list of financial resources for burn injury families. Note that pursuing one option or organization may limit your financial assistance from others; the key is to understand where you are most likely to get the support you need.


People are often surprised to find out that the largest amounts of compensation typically available can be recovered from parties that may be partially responsible. These awards are often large enough to provide financial security for families and their medical needs. There are law firms who handle such cases on a contingency fee basis which does not require out of pocket cost. Even if it seems like an accident, if another party can be held at least partially accountable for the accident that caused the serious burn, then you may benefit by looking into compensation options.

Social Security Disability

Patients can file a disability claim with social security. (It's advisable to consult with an attorney that specializes in such claims.)

Disability Insurance

Many people can also file a disability claim if they have disability insurance either privately, through their employer, or as part of a life insurance policy.

Worker's Compensation

If a burn injury occurred on the job, a worker's compensation claim or other types of legal action may be filed against an employer. Again, it is advisable to consult with an attorney handling worker's compensation claims.

Health Insurance

For people facing large medical bills and hospital stays, most hospitals have Discharge Planners or other personnel who can assist with issues of medical coverage and hospice. There are also laws that allow patients to take legal action against their insurance company for unfairly denying them coverage for medical treatment.

Foundations and other charitable organizations

Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation – a California/Nevada nonprofit health organization providing burn assistance support to children and adults.

Alisa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation
3600 Ocean View Boulevard, #1
Glendale, CA 91208
(800) 242-2876 or (818) 249-2230

Georgia Firefighters Burn Foundation – an independent organization dedicated to burn awareness and burn prevention and supporting Georgia burn survivors during their recovery.

2575 Chantilly Drive
Atlanta, GA 30324

Northwest Burn Foundation – provides emergency housing for families of burn patients in Seattle, Washington, as well as burn prevention education.

Northwest Burn Foundation
1515 NW 52nd St.
Suite A
Seattle, WA 98107
Toll Free: 1-888-NOBURNS

The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors, Inc. – an international, nonprofit organization helping burn survivors and their families.

The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors, Inc.
2153 Wealthy SE, Suite 215
East Grand Rapids, MI 49506
(800) 888-2876 or (616) 458-2773

Southeastern Firefighters Association – a nonprofit organization that provides both moral support and help for families of burn patients during the initial days of hospitalization with life's basic necessities, including food, clothing, transportation, and lodging. The foundation also provides help in purchasing pressure garments.

Southeastern Firefighters Association
3614 J. Dewey Gray Circle
Augusta, GA 30909

Shriners Hospitals for Children - a nationwide network of 22 hospitals that provide no-cost burn and orthopedic care to children under 18 years of age, regardless of financial need.

International Shrine Headquarters
2900 Rocky Point Drive
Tampa, FL 33607
(800) 237-5055 or (813) 281-0300